Friday, May 3, 2013

Few words from one of the daughters.

  Hello All:

  I have never blogged before nor have I wrote so candidly on a public forum (not even FB)....so I am going to give it a try.  So, my mother has taken most of the time to contribute to this blog and speak about her financial journey and I figured it was about time one of her daughters, whom also are on a financial journey in 2013, spoke since that is the whole point we started this blog.

  I can't say that 2013 has been easy thus far and we are nearly to the half way point of it all.  My sister and I both attended Dave Ramsey's FPU at a local church in February and April, completing the classes.  I can honestly say that the steps are easy if you follow them, but like Dave says "emergencies happen" things come up that you can't control.  I have struggled and made ends meet all while paying down a great deal of debt.  I am still contributing to a 401k plan through my employer and paying my bills and mortgage on time.  Having a child in a single parent household is a beating on your finances. I haven't accomplished any of Dave's Baby Steps, yet.....well I did have Step 1 done then life happened, my daughters father went from paying full child support to paying less then a third of it and that takes a toll when you're the one paying for child care, clothes, food, well everything on your own.  I have been living on a budget since completing FPU and it helps to keep everything in line.  But I do struggle, I make things work out, I pay my bills on time, all while putting what little bit left in a college fund, retirement fund and savings.  I tithe at church even though its not nearly what I would like it to be.  I don't have cable TV or Internet at my house....my child has never had either while living with me....and yes your children can survive without either and a little bit of fresh air. I know that sounds old fashioned, but I like my life like that. I have an HD antenna for my TV and that gives us all the local channels, we have a DVD player so when its in the budget and we want to watch something we don't own already....RED BOX is our route.  There are a lot of ways to make it without the luxuries we all have become so dependent on.

 I am going to be 30 in a year and I want to be debt free by that time. or at least have just a car and house to pay off.  8000 dollars in credit cards and lines of credit for me are just consuming too much of my money when it can be used elsewhere.  I have rambled on long enough, but I just wanted to put some things out there, for the single parents in cyberspace

Remember its OK to tell your kids "NO", you may be teaching them a bigger lesson about life then you may ever realize!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I can’t seem to find your email & have a quick question about your blog. Do you think you could email me?

    Thanks!

    - Jenny

    ReplyDelete